With age comes wisdom, confidence, experience…and unavoidably, maturing skin. There is little doubt that we would all love to maintain a healthy, clear complexion as we get older but in order to achieve this it’s important to know what to expect at every age. That way you can improve the skin’s appearance no matter what the change.
SKIN DURING YOUR 20s
Blake Lively, 28, Taylor Swift, 26, Jennifer Lawrence, 25, Rihanna, 28
Let’s start by making it clear that how you treat your skin during your 20s often makes a significant difference in the long run. It is so important that you implement good habits early on in so that you can help combat the aging process as soon as it begins.
- Unfortunately, acne is not just a teenage thing and is quite common during your 20s. You can even get a pimple now if you never had one before in your life. To treat breakout skin – which is usually caused by a hormonal imbalance – you need to use the right products with active ingredients such as salicylic acid. Start a clinical skincare regime in order to get the best results.
- It is also time to start thinking about anti-aging. The best thing you can focus on is PREVENTION. Make sure you use SUNSCREEN – this is an absolute must. It typically takes 8-10 years for sun damage to reach the surface of your skin so just because you don’t see the damage now of sun-tanning doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist or won’t come out later as freckles, dark spots and the beginning of a few wrinkles.
SKIN DURING YOUR 30s
Gisele Bundchen, 35, Kim Kardashian, 35, Beyonce, 34, Rose Byrne, 35
This is when the fine lines often start to develop around the corners of your eyes (also known as crow’s feet), forehead and mouth. As such many women finally start to get serious about their anti-aging skincare regime.
- If you have ignored using sunscreen, an absolutely must-have product before then it is absolutely essential you start using it now.
- Some women start considering the use of anti-wrinkle injections now in order to prevent further formation of deep lines.
- Now is also the time to start using skincare products which include retinol, anti-oxidants and collagen-boosting ingredients. These products not only nourish the skin but will prevent further sun damage.
- Gentle laser treatments like Clear and Brilliant as great for young skin as they address pigmentation and produce results including: visibly illuminated skin tone, renewed, ultra-soft and smoother texture and a more even, uniform tone.
SKIN DURING YOUR 40s
Jennifer Lopez, 46, Angelina Jolie, 41,
During this stage women begin to experience perimenopause or transition into menopause. These hormonal changes and subsequent slowed collagen production often equates to an overall change in the texture and tone of your skin.
This is when things unfortunately start to go a little bit downhill. You may notice a loss of volume and elasticity in your skin. You may also begin to lose some of your natural glow, resulting in a duller complexion. Any existing imperfections on your skin that you already have tend to also worsen with age.
- Dermal fillers are fantastic that counteracting the visible signs of volume loss and smoothing out deep wrinkles. They are products designed to contour, create volume, fill lines and hydrate the skin. They can be used on various areas such as cheeks, lips, neck and for the smoothing of jowls and marionette lines.
- Now is also the time for skin-tightening treatments such as Re-Firme. Re-Firme is the perfect anti-aging solution and targets the tell-tale signs of aging such as sagginess under the eyes, jowl and neck.
SKIN DURING YOUR 50s and 60s
Michelle Pfeiffer, 58, Elle MacPherson, 52, Vanessa Williams, 53, Christie Brinkley, 62,
These later decades are all about choosing the right advanced cosmetic treatments, with view to achieving natural-looking results. At this age women only produce about 10% of the oestrogen they used to produce.
Because this oestrogen stimulates collagen and oil production this dramatic loss can manifest as very dry skin and deep-set wrinkles become more pronounced. Also the face begins to sag overall which equals sunken cheeks and eyes, thinner lips, and more pronounced lines everywhere.
- Dermal filler is once again the perfect way to recapture lost volume.
- Anti-wrinkle injections can also soften horizontal lines across the forehead, crow’s feet, and lines around the neck.
PERFECT FOR EVERY AGE
- Skin peels are a method of regenerating and resurfacing the skin. They ultimately improve the appearance of sun-damaged skin, wrinkles, skin texture, pigmentation and the overall appearance of the skin.
- Medical Microdermabrasions are also perfect for every age. This is a non-invasive painless procedure that deeply exfoliates the skin and removes the dull, dead skin cells from the surface to reveal younger skin. It is effective at reducing fine lines, sun damage, age spots, pigmentation and acne scars as it stimulates the production of new skin cells and collagen networking in the deeper layers of the skin.
- Also remember to drink LOTS of water (ideally 2 litres) and to aim for around 8 hours of sleep every night.